For many children, even mentioning the word dentist is enough to send them running. However, it is important to help them learn about the reason and need for regular dental visits so that they can get the post possible start on their oral hygiene journey. At Specialist Kids Dentist, we aim to make a visit to the dentist a fun and comfortable experience for every child. Healthy oral habits developed from a young age will go a long way in preventing serious dental issues appearing later in life, and this will also make for easy, stress-free visits throughout early childhood and beyond.
In this blog post, we’ll be sharing some tips which will alleviate many of the stresses and fears your child may have about visiting the dentist.
Overcoming the Fear
Children normally develop a fear of the dentist following previous negative experiences, but it’s also understandable for children to be nervous of the unfamiliar sounds, smells and equipment found within a dental office.
You’ve made the right decision in trusting Specialist Kids Dentist to look after your child’s health, as we specialise in treating young patients who may have a fear of the dentist or are medically compromised. Our dental surgery has been purpose built with children in mind, and our staff relate with children in a warm and friendly manner which encourages learning and participation throughout the check-up. This helps to establish healthy oral habits early, and children will soon discover that a check-up at the dentist can be a fun and relaxed experience.
Oral Hygiene in the Home
As a parent, you should try to teach your child about the importance of brushing twice a day. Flossing can begin as soon as they have two teeth that touch one another. Parents should floss their children’s teeth until they are old enough to floss effectively on their own.You might like to brush your teeth alongside your child each morning and before bed, as this will help to set a positive example.
By establishing healthy oral hygiene habits in the home, your child will soon begin to take an interest in looking after their teeth and gums so that they can maintain healthy, strong teeth and a beautiful smile for many years to come.
How You Can Help Your Child
You might like to consider the following helpful tips which may help your child have a better experience at the dentist.
- Emphasise the importance of regular check-ups and that everyone needs to visit the dentist to maintain great oral health
- You might like to bring your child along to your own dental appointments, as this will give them a better idea of the process and that there is nothing to fear
- Turn up early to your dental appointment and give your child some time to familiarise themselves with the surroundings of our warm and welcoming dental clinic
- Allow your child to dress up for their visit. Many children find that wearing their favourite superhero outfit gives them a boost of confidence, and it is sure to brighten up our day too.
- Consider offering a reward to your child for successfully sticking to their oral hygiene routine and behaving well during their routine check-up.
- Avoid using words like pain or scary. If you have an upcoming dental appointment, try not to express any concern when your child is around. Instead, let your child know that the dentist is more like a friendly doctor who wants to help them keep their teeth in tip top condition.
Schedule an Appointment at Specialist Kids Dental Today .
At Specialist Kids Dental we believe that every child deserves the best start on their dental health journey, and we would love to welcome you and your family to our clinic.
Please contact us on 02 9600 6848 to schedule a check-up for your child